Sunday, February 25, 2018

The Perfume by Caroline B Cooney

**This blog contains adult language.**

Warning: Spoilers Ahead!!!  This is a recap blog which means I read the book and tell you everything that happens so you don't have to read it yourself.  Do NOT continue to read unless you want to know who the bad guy/girl/odor is.

Tag Line: The sweet smell....of EVIL.

From the Back of the Book: Venom...Dove doesn't want to buy the perfume.  The sound of its name fills her with fear and its fragrance wraps itself around her heart.  But somehow she can't help herself.  It's almost as if something - or someone - inside her is forcing her to try it.  And when Dove puts on the perfume, she unleashes a part of herself that has been locked away all her life...the second self she never knew existed.  And it's EVIL...

This cover is pretty banged up.  I get most of my books from used book stores and sometimes they're in pretty rough shape.  It's interesting to note that the cover art on this book is the UK version rather than the American version.  I used to own the book with the American cover and it wasn't nearly as cool.


The UK cover definitely fits the description in the book a little better.

This book was published in 1992 and I've read it before.  In fact, it sat on my keeper shelf for a really long time before it inevitably got purged.  The thing is...I can't figure out WHY it was on my keeper shelf.  I have limited bookshelf space so I don't keep everything I read.  Normally for me to keep one of these I have to either really love the story or really love the guy.  Neither of those apply here.  At any rate, I had to re-buy a copy for this blog and I've never regretted a purchase more.

I hadn't really planned to do this book at all.  The other blog my manager reads had already covered this one so that technically let me off the hook.  My first recap for this month was something my most faithful reader Wrath couldn't read, though, and I needed something I could throw in super fast so she had something to read.  I decided it would be easier for me to do a book I've already read so that I knew for sure it would be okay.  I went to the shelf and picked up two books I've really been wanting to recap (Camp Fear and Funhouse).  Both have already been covered by the other blog so my manager was banning them from mine.  I knew she'd okay it once she learned it was for Wrath, so I called her in to ask her which of those two I should do.  At the last second before she got in the room, I grabbed this book off the shelf and added it to the pile.  I don't know why.  I REGRET ALL MY LIFE CHOICES.  She took one look at the three of them and pointed to this one. 

Before I start I have to say that this recap will not approach the lunacy of this book. I am recapping from the perspective of a semi-normal person here and the book definitely wasn't written that way. You guys really have to read this thing because it is......a mind-fuck.

We begin with our protagonist Dove and her BFFs Connie and Luce looking at a newspaper ad for a new perfume called Venom. Dove is not the Venom type – she's soft and mild and....well....dove-like – but she's obsessing over this perfume. She doesn't know what it smells like but she knows she has to have it. Luce checks to see where it's available and it turns out a store called “Dry Ice” has it. Dove tells us that Dry Ice is the trendiest store ever and she describes something that sounds an awful lot like Hot Topic to me with one notable exception. Dry Ice actually uses dry ice so that fog-like vapor envelops the entire store. I have no idea how anyone actually shops in a fog but whatever. Dove feels like Dry Ice speaks to her. She says it tells her that its been waiting for her.

I literally forgot how hokey this book was. Sigh.

Dove is afraid of Dry Ice but she's used to that because she's afraid of lots of things. She tells us that she still checks under her bed for monsters every night before she goes to sleep. She wants Venom so much that she's willing to face her fear of the store to get it. The girls agree to go after school. For the rest of the day, Venom haunts Dove. She feels like it sinks tiny teeth into her brain and crawls around her skull upside down.


Dove cannot bear things that match. Identical objects throw her into feelings of doom and despair. Full parking lots are like cemeteries to her. I despise this girl. I really, really do. Man, did I made a MASSIVE mistake sticking this book into my pile of possibles.

They make it into Dry Ice and find the perfume. Dove refuses to breathe. She thinks the perfume will get inside her and eat her alive. The other two girls try it on and agree that it doesn't smell very good. The bottle is pretty though – translucent and shaped like a snake. Dove tells us that the perfume is “before history...before sanity”. I have NO FUCKING IDEA what that means. I'm exhausted and I've read 5 pages. What is WRONG with Cooney??????????????????????????????

Dove smells the perfume and knows that something will be under her bed when she checks that night. She can no longer recognize her friends or remember their names.

Well, that seems normal.

Nah, you're fine, Dove. Totally fine.

Dove is silent all the way home. She feels like Dry Ice has stolen all of the words out of her body. Her friends tease her about buying the foul-smelling perfume as they drop her off at home. Dove can't remember which of the identical condominiums she lives in. She wanders around for awhile but can't tell if she's actually gone anywhere at all. She has to look at the identification card in her purse to remember her address. Then she feels her heart split down the middle and suddenly she has two hearts instead of one.

Totally normal. You're fine.

WALK IT OFF!!!!!!!

Dove hates her house. It's identical to all the others and full of identical furniture. She looks out the skylight and sees bright blue sky but the sky outside is actually gray. She figures it's because the name of the condo complex is Sky Change Hills. Because clearly the name of the condo has the power to actually alter the fucking sky.


There's a bunch of words about Dove not having any bright colors in her room because they scare her and not having anything that matches because....well, you know. She drops the perfume bottle and the smell invades her body. THIS BOOK IS A NIGHTMARE TO READ.

The next day, Dove feels her mind begin to flutter. It feels like a bird is flapping around in her skull and her head feels full. She hits her head hard with her hand and the fluttering stops. She makes her breakfast – oatmeal “black with raisins” - and then can't eat it because the raisins look like eyes and she thinks they'll see inside her stomach if she eats them.

Oatmeal black with raisins.

Oatmeal BLACK with raisins.


At school, the weird fluttering continues to plague Dove. She wishes she could stick her fingers inside her skull and itch her brain. During Biology the fluttering turns to footsteps and she feels someone walking around in her head. She asks her teacher if it's possible to be born with another person inside her and he tells her that sounds like schizophrenia to him. It's totally DID but whatevs.

Nevertheless, Dove decides there's a second person inside her skull and she compares it to having a piece of gravel in her shoe. In Ancient History they discuss how Egyptians drilled holes in the skull to treat mental illness and things like migraines and seizures. It was thought to let the evil out and Dove thinks this might be a possible solution to her current predicament. I'm hoping she'll try and then the book can be over.

Dove tells us about her parents and it's super boring and I'm not going to recap it. READ THE DAMN BOOK YOURSELVES!! She loves them but they're not close and rarely actually speak to each other. That night she forces them to talk to her by asking for a story. The story her father chooses to tell is about how her twin sister disappeared in utero. Solid choice there, dad. They had been expecting twins. An early ultrasound showed two so they picked out the names Wing and Dove and prepared for two babies. Then one of them simply vanished due to a phenomena called Vanishing Twin Syndrome. 

So this is an actual thing. It usually happens in the early weeks of pregnancy where one twin simply stops developing. The tissue is absorbed into the surviving twin, the mother or the placenta giving it the appearance that the dead twin has vanished.

Dove becomes convinced that the second person inside her is Wing and Wing is looking for a way to escape. The next day after school, Dove writhes around on the carpet trying to scratch Wing out of her head. Meanwhile Wing is screaming and beating on the inside of her skull. Dove can hear Wing laughing at her and when she looks in the mirror she sees three of her.

Don't worry about that brain tumor there, Dove. You're fine. WALK IT OFF!!!

Dove goes to her room and uncorks the bottle of perfume. The ancient smell permeates the entire condo....you know, as perfume does. Suddenly the pressure in her head stops. Dove knows it's because Wing has finally emerged and she actually begins to look around for her. Then she realizes that Wing is in control of the body and she's now invisible.

At this point I would ordinarily say that this character has had a psychotic break and I feel that I can't snark on her anymore BUT this is a Cooney. And because it's a Cooney, we have to take this ridiculous garbage at face value. Cooney requires us to accept that an absorbed twin can be “activated” by the smell of a dank perfume and then take over a person's body.

I hate Cooney.


Dove takes up residence in the back of the brain while Wing tries out her new body. She finds the perfume and greets it lovingly telling it that she's waited her whole life for it to come.

That's not weird at all. You're FINE. Completely fine. Nothing to worry about.

Wing tells Dove that “the maternal body” discarded her (Wing) because it knew somehow she was evil and unfit to live. She says that was lucky for Dove because if she had been born she would have found a way to kill Dove by now. She hates Dove and is sick to death of listening to her talk for all these years.

Wing goes to school while Dove wrings her hands inside the brain. Wing is mean and disrespectful to pretty much everyone. Luce and Connie don't even recognize her anymore. A mean girl named Hesta seems interested in forming an unholy alliance though. Wing speaks up in History class about a pretty dumb idea for a class project and the teacher shuts her down. Wing vows revenge!

After school, Wing is still ranting about the History teacher and Dove is trying to talk her off the ledge. As a result, she's full-on talking to herself when her mom gets home. Her mom demands to know why Dove is acting so strange and talking in two voices like two different people. Wing replies that she never liked the “maternal body”. Her mom is concerned and later her father finds her talking to herself too and is also concerned.  But not actually concerned to...you know....DO something.  That would be rash.  

The next day at school Wing's grand plan is to wave the perfume under the History teacher's nose to wake up his vanished twin and drive him crazy. Dove tries to explain that not everyone has a vanished twin but Wing doesn't believe her. During class she uncorks the perfume and waves it around. Nothing happens. The smell invades the room but nothing happens except people complaining about how nasty it smells. Wing is confused. Someone opens a window and the fresh air seems to push Wing out of the body and back into the back of the brain.

Which.

Bullshit.

Wing was outside several times and the air never caused a switch.  It makes no sense that it would randomly cause a switch now.

Back in control of the body, Dove discards the perfume and considers the matter handled. I wish it was but we're not even halfway through the book yet.

Now that she's back in the driver's seat, Dove realizes how much more comfortable she was in the passenger seat. She feels awkward and unsure of herself when she's in control. She liked not having to make any kind of social decision or have any interaction. She's particularly nervous around a couple of boys named Timmy and Laurence. Dove has a thing for Timmy but Wing hates him. The girls make plans to meet the boys at the mall. Connie and Luce want to go to Dry Ice again but Dove plans to stay far away.

When they get to the mall, Connie is stunned to find that Dry Ice no longer exists.  Not only is it gone, but no one except Connie and Dove seem to remember it even existed. So....that's weird.

The next morning Wing is causing a commotion in Dove's head again. She walks to the bus stop where she meets up with Luce and Connie. Wing is flying around and around her head and she's scared the top is just going to fly off so she puts her backpack on top of her head and just stands there like that.


In History, Hesta finds the bottle of Venom in Dove's purse. Wing gleefully tells Dove that she put it in there. Just as Timmy is asking Dove to go to a hot air balloon launch with him on Saturday, Hesta opens the Venom and Wing takes over again. She agrees to the date with Timmy and Dove is scared. She has no idea what Wing might do to the poor boy.

Wing decides she can't possibly wear any of Dove's clothes on the date so she borrows some trendy black stuff from Luce. Timmy picks her up at 5am on Saturday. Wing is hoping to do something exciting and dramatic but finds talking to Timmy boring. She keeps the body but lets Dove use the mouth.

They get to the festival and Timmy asks if she wants to go up in one of the balloons. Dove doesn't want to but Wing takes control of the mouth and says yes. In her head, she tells Dove that she thinks it would be super fabulous if Timmy fell out of the basket. Dove freaks out. They go up in the balloon and Wing encourages Timmy to go higher and higher. They're over a farm when she decides to push Timmy out of the balloon. She grabs him and begins the push but fortunately for Timmy, the smell of farmland reaches the nose and Dove is back in charge.

This makes no sense, Cooney. Are you trying to tell us that there have been absolutely NO SMELLS since Wing took over? Smells are everywhere. I'm just sitting in my living room and I can smell at least three distinctive smells. If you're going to make some random rule for your world – which is 100% your right – then at least have it make sense.

Dove grips Timmy's shirt and tells him that she lost her balance but he doesn't fully believe her. He knows she almost pushed him and he's scared. Not only that but the "silent" argument Dove and Wing have been having wasn't as silent as Dove thought.  He's been listening to her talk to herself in two different voices.  Dove is heartbroken. She really wants to be Timmy's girlfriend and Wing has ruined it. He sets the balloon down and then takes Dove straight home, not saying a word to her on the entire ride.

When Dove gets back inside she sees a note from her mom saying a friend dropped off something for her. It turns out Hesta brought the Venom back and some spilled out. Wing takes control again. She's cruel to both the “maternal body” and the “paternal body” and they're horrified at what their daughter is turning into. Dove's given up completely. She has no idea how the smell thing works (NEITHER DO I!!!) and feels like she'll never be in control of the body again.  Wing is simply stronger than she is.  

Wing vows to destroy Luce and Connie for reasons which aren't entirely clear. 

Then again, nothing is entirely clear.

This book reeks more than the Venom.

At school, Wing is super mean to Connie and Luce and super nice to Hesta. She invites Hesta to go to the mall with her because she wants to buy new clothes. When they get there, Wing becomes fascinated by a pyramid of glass on top of a fountain. She begins to worship at it, her hands over her head and her body trembling. Everyone is staring at her. She steps into the fountain and begins throwing the water all over herself.

Dove can hear the people talking. They're calling for help because they think Wing has lost her mind. Hesta tries to get Wing out the fountain but Wing isn't listening to her. She continues to worship and baptize herself.

WHAT THE HOLY FUCK AM I READING? WHY DID I OWN THIS BOOK? WHY DID I KEEP IT?   WHY DID I BUY A SECOND COPY?  WHY DID I ADD IT TO THE PILE FOR MY MANAGER TO PICK FROM?

I REGRET EVERYTHING!!!

Hesta gets Wing out of the mall. She seems amused now. She can't figure out if Wing has gone insane or if she's just finally becoming an interesting person. Wing, meanwhile, is growing tired of Hesta. She tells Hesta to call her Wing instead of Dove and Hesta makes fun of the name. Wing decides Hesta must die.

They pull up to a stoplight and the car next to them contains Timmy and Laurence. Wing encourages Hesta to race them and Timmy is just dumb enough to join in. As they go faster and faster, Dove realizes Wing intends to grab the wheel and crash them all. She pleads with Wing to reconsider. She doesn't mind if Wing destroys her because she can't imagine living like this anymore anyway, but she doesn't want Wing to hurt anyone else.

Wing and Dove begin to argue about Wing killing Hesta. Out loud. Where Hesta can hear. Hesta suddenly pulls off into a donut shop parking lot and leaves the car. Wing is hella pissed.

The next day at school, Wing tells everyone who will listen about her failed plan to kill Timmy and her failed plan to kill Hesta. She gets called into the psychologist's office where she talks openly about killing Timmy and Hesta again. Her parents are summoned and she tells them that she's their unborn daughter. They're terrified. The psychologist recommends a hospital but her parents refuse. They have important things to deal with at work and they just want to take Dove home. Rhyming words start pouring from “the mouth” but neither Dove nor Wing seems to be saying them. They are both surprised by them.

Cooney never explains that, by the way.  She just throws it down and walks away.  Kind of like one of those flaming bags of poop people leave on your doorstep.  This entire book is a flaming bag of poop.

As soon as they step outside, the smell of flowers in the flowerbed knock Wing out of place and Dove takes control again. WHICH MAKES NO SENSE because those fucking flowers were there when Dove went IN the school so they should have knocked Wing out then if they were going to. Dove gets in the car with her mom and explains that Wing will be quiet now. Wing argues with her...audibly. Dove says that at first they are both in the mouth but the longer she stays in control, the harder Wing will find it to use the mouth without Dove's permission. Dove's mother is not super reassured by this.

They take Dove to a psychiatrist where she continues to sit and argue audibly with Wing. Well, she thinks it's silent but it's not. At one point Wing tells Dove that she needs therapy and I actually giggled. It's the only good thing in this entire book. The psychiatrist understandably orders commitment. He thinks she has a “split personality” which I said a hundred pages ago only I used the PROPER term thankyouverymuch. Dove insists that she doesn't have a second personality. She has a second person inside her. They fail to see the difference and she is sedated and admitted.

Dove finds the hospital terrifying and therapy frustrating. No one will believe her. She tries to reason with Wing. She agrees to share the body if Wing will agree to stop trying to hurt people. Wing doesn't want to be reasonable. Wing urges Dove to just give up the body entirely and Dove is so miserable that she considers it.

Dove is only in the hospital for one week. Insurance won't pay for more. She even goes back to school right away. Most of the kids are too scared to talk to her but Hesta is super chummy despite knowing Wing tried to kill her a few chapters ago.  I think Hesta has some issues of her own. 

After school, Luce approaches. She says she wants to help and Wing decides now is a good time to try to kill her. She asks Luce to take her for a ride in the car and Luce happily agrees. She just wants to help her friend.

They head for the car but Hesta intercepts them. She invites them to the mall but Luce hates Hesta and doesn't want to go. Luce takes off and Wing has to adjust her plan. Dove realizes she's going to have to fight Wing or the rest of her life will be this way.

When they get to the mall, Dove begins her campaign to take control of the body. It involves a lilac-scented handkerchief and the pyramid at the fountain and I'll be honest......I didn't understand a word of it. Dove holds the lilac-scented handkerchief to her nose and steps into the fountain. She tells the pyramid to take Wing back and then Wing is gone.



Yeah.

I have no idea.

I fucking hate Cooney.

I've learned my lesson, y'all. When presenting three books to the manager for approval make sure NONE OF THEM ARE COONEY.








No comments:

Post a Comment